Discovered a Bug in the Web Application

I encountered a small bug in my Computer Concepts web app while I was doing the assignment using the app. It seems to always output a forward slash in front of each single quote on the print layout table. Please refer to the following screenshot if you don’t know what I’m talking about.

Forward slash bug in the web aplicationForward slash bug. Click the image to enlarge

Thankfully, I found this post in the Dev Shed forum that provide a native PHP function to remove the forward slashes. I applied the function stripslashes($string) to the output value and the forward slashes are now gone.

Here is the updated source code for anyone who downloaded my last source code:

http://www.robbychen.com/cs110/worksheet_sourcecode.zip

If you find more problems while using the app, please leave a comment. I will fix it as soon as possible. Thanks.

Changing Plan

I just found out this morning school is open today despite that today is President’s Day in the US. I have to postpone my project to Wednesday since I don’t have access to a scanner to scan the original assignment sheet. Right now I’m completing assignment for Computer Concepts class. I know the web app for helping me to complete this assignment is not finished yet. Since this assignment is due tomorrow, I have to complete this by hand. Besides, if I finished building the web app, I don’t have access to a printer to print out the assignment, and I have classes until ten o’clock on both evenings today and tomorrow.

So I decided to delay my web app “release” to Wednesday. Today I’ll complete my Computer Concepts assignment. The completion of the web app will be tomorrow. On Wednesday, I will scan the original assignment sheet to my laptop, compare between the web app and the original, and upload the project. As I wrote on previous post, it will be uploaded under the CS 110 homepage on robbychen.com website.

Creating my First Web App

I’m currently creating my first web application to aid my class assignment, specifically CS110 (Computer Concepts). The reason I came up with this web app idea is because there are 12 Chapters in the textbook for the course and we must answer the questions at the end of every chapter, but there is only one sheet of assignment paper. The professor told us to xerox some copies for future assignments. I thought this is a good idea to create a web app based on this sheet of paper. Originally, I planned to use scanner to scan it to my PC and directly working on it. Because there aren’t any good OCR tool available in GNU/Linux, as far as I know, and my writing is terrible, I decided to convert it to a web app.

Today I started creating the web app. I finished coding it using HTML and PHP and putted it to test. I used it to complete the Chapter 2 assignment. During the test, I was beginning to come up inspirational ideas, like auto change to the next text field in the same table column when it reaches maximum length and move the last incomplete word to the new text field like word processor. Unfortunately, I only knows little about JavaScript. I’m researching on how to do these. Maybe I will keep these ideas for my next project if I didn’t find anything on how to accomplish these.

I plan to complete the web app tomorrow. It will be “released” under CS 110 homepage on the robbychen.com website.